Monday, March 7, 2016

Gladys Girstle Guthery (1908-1984)

March is Women's History Month and my cousin, Sara Campbell (Remembering Those Who Came Before Us) challenged me to post 31 mini blogs about our female ancestors. Lisa Alzo at The Accidental Genealogist has compiled some prompts to make blogging about female ancestors a little easier.

March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.


I'm a little behind on posting as I was out-of-town over the weekend but I plan to catch up. 


Marriage License for Juston and Gladys

My maternal grandparents, Gladys Guthery and Juston Eady eloped. The story I was told was that Gladys ran away from home and Juston's mother hid her in the smokehouse until Juston could make the arrangements for them to travel to Tennessee. They were married 23 Mar 1925 in Lawrence County, Tennessee. 

Juston was 20 years old and Gladys was a few months shy of her 17th birthday. Juston's cousin C.W. Methvin signed the bond with him and likely drove them from Cullman County, Alabama where they all lived, north the 100 miles or so to Lawrenceburg. 


They had 11 children -- 4 boys and 7 girls. All but two survived to adulthood.


2 comments: